There are several causes of cracked skin fingers and heels. Cracked dry skin is a very common problem. Women seem to be more prone to the problem than men. Hands and feet are common areas that suffer from cracked skin. At times it could just be a cosmetic problem. But if left unattended cracked dry skin may bleed and lead to infection.
Some of the reasons for the condition are
- Frequent hand washing
- Use of harsh detergents
- Extreme winter and prolonged dry conditions
- Prolonged standing on hard floor
- Open backed footwear
- Skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis and contact dermatitis
Home Remedies for Cracked Fingers
It is necessary use a moisturizer on the skin. Petroleum jelly is very useful for the purpose. It is essential to apply it generously to the affected skin. It is advisable to wash your hands with mild soap before the application of the jelly. The hands can be covered with gloves after the application.
Almond oil, coconut oil and olive oil are also very good moisturizers. They can be used instead of petroleum jelly. Using hot water may aggravate the problem. Before going out in cold weather, it is better to cover your hands with gloves
Some of the other remedies for cracked fingers are
- Mix vitamin E with almond oil and apply it
- Mashed banana is a very good remedy. It can be applied on the affected skin
- Mashed avocado can also be used. It helps to produce body oils
- Castor oil, bees wax and lanolin can be mixed and melted together and applied
- Honey can be mixed with egg yolk and applied
- Yogurt and lemon juice are a very good combination to cure cracked skin.
If the reason for the condition is cold weather or detergents the above remedies can cure the condition. If it is due some underlying illness a doctor has to be consulted.
Home Remedies for Cracked Heels
- Apply mashed ripe bananas over the cracked heels and wash it off after half an hour
- Glycerin is an excellent moisturizer. It can be mixed with rose water and applied to the heels
- Mix lemon juice with petroleum jelly and apply it to the affected skin
- Petroleum jelly can be substituted by coconut oil, almond oil or olive oil, all of which are very good moisturizers.
- Coconut oil can be melted together with paraffin wax and applied.
Cracked skin on the heels can be prevented by using footwear which covers the feet properly. Feet have to thoroughly cleaned at night before going to bed. A thick layer of moisturizing cream or lotion has to be applied to get rid of the cracked dry skin.